10 May 2011


I bet you are all wondering what the special occasion is since I'm finally blogging again.

Isn't it kind of pathetic that it should take something special for me to buckle down and write about my life??

Yes, very pathetic.

The special occasion is........I'M SICK!!!!! SURPRISE!!!!!!

It seems like the only times that I every blog is because I am sick and don't have anything else to do. Man, good thing I get sick so often or else I would never be on here. I should probably change that.

This past Friday I woke up at 4:00 in the morning feeling unhumanly feverish. I was sweating profusely, and I felt that my body heat alone could melt my pajamas off of my body. My hair was sticking to my face and my eyes were watering. I got up to splash some cold water on my face and maybe take a cold shower.

Bad idea...a wave a nausea hit me and I had to crawl to the bathroom. Luckily, I didn't throw up. Now, I could just add nausea to the mix. I crawled around my house to search for ways to cool off. I creeped into the kitchen and quietly opened the fridge, trying not to awaken the six kids that were sprawled across the couches and the floor of the living room. Of course, the fridge door was suctioned shut thanks to some sticky root beer and opened in a manner that was anything but quiet. I heard a few bodies stir, but none woke up. Phew. I hate waking people up.

I grabbed a chilled water bottle, gulped it down, and crawled back into bed. Then I passed out.

I woke up a few hours later to the sounds of my in-laws eating breakfast, packing, and getting ready for the day. I woke up my husband and we sauntered out into the living room so we could say goodbye to them before they left for Denver, Colorado.

It's always depressing to me when my in-laws have to leave. My husband and I enjoy when there is company at our place, because honestly, it gets kind of lonely with just the two of us sometimes.

Still feeling super unhumanly sick, I curled up into a ball onto the couch and prepared for death to take me. I had developed a fever, headache, stomachache, body ache, cough, nose congestion, earache, and a sore throat in a matter of hours. I felt miserable and was incredibly thirsty and wanted to help my in-laws get everything ready to go. My father-in-law was doing our dishes and I didn't have the strength to tell him to stop. I croaked at my husband to tell him to stop, but by then, it was too late. The deed was done.

When it was almost time for my in-laws to leave, I suddenly felt the urge to throw up. Of course, somebody was in the bathroom. I panicked and began surveying alternative places to throw up. The sink, the popcorn bowl, on Jared....

Luckily the bathroom opened up in the nick of time. I heaved and hurled and felt absolutely disgusted with myself. I HATE throwing up. And I threw up all of the Cafe Rio we had just ate last night. I especially hate throwing up expensive food.

Finally, as I said goodbye to my in-laws, I had to give them all half hugs because I didn't want to contaminate them. I weakly thanked them all for coming and wished them well on their travels. They all probably thought I was just grateful to see them leave. :(

When they left, I curled back into my ball on the couch and faced the fact that I wouldn't be able to go to work today. Which was very unfortunate, because I had lots of work to do and had to make up for the days I missed while being in Colorado. Thank goodness it was a Friday and I didn't have class that day.

Then I thought about all the things that were going on this weekend. Tonight was a bonfire with our friends up Provo canyon, tomorrow was Angela's surprise Harry Potter birthday party, and Sunday was Mother's day, which also meant that I had the possibility of singing in my home ward for sacrament meeting. Oh, and the weather was absolutely gorgeous every day this weekend and actually felt like spring. (Springtime in May, who would have thought???)

Of course this was the weekend that I got sick.

So I was determined to not let this sickness control my plans this weekend and I completed every single one of them.
almost dying of dehydration up in the canyon
almost dying by getting singed by a hot coal (thanks Alex)
being extremely unsociable at the end of the bonfire
almost dying of starvation by a complete loss of appetite all day Saturday
being extremely unsociable again at the end of the birthday party
being hunched over during all three meeting of church on Sunday
running out of the middle of Primary to throw up
being unsociable again at church
losing appetite again at parent's house.....

I didn't die. I made it. I feel accomplished.  

Back to today, today being Tuesday, I am still sick. Missed work and class yesterday, missing both today. Every morning I keep expecting to feel better, but I don't.

On the way back from dropping by my work this morning, Clayton took me to the BYU Health Center to get an appointment with a doctor. They got me in fairly quickly, and I had to wear a surgical mask while I was waiting. I felt like I was a walking disease. 

The nurse took my blood pressure, weighed me (whoa, lost six pounds since I last got weighed), thumped my knees (I always laugh when they do this), and asked me lots of questions. Then I waited for the doctor. She was very nice, and tested me using lots of methods. Finally, she came to the conclusion that I had a certain virus that they did not have the cure for. 

I was kind of surprised. Great, I was incurable

Then she went on to say that this particular virus usually lasts for 10 to 14 days.

Awesome, five days down, at least five more to go.

I almost wanted to cry, but I didn't because I am a grown up now and big girls don't cry. Right, Fergie? Instead, I asked what I could do to help ease my symptoms. She responded with lots of rest, lots of water (so at least I could just puke up water instead of Cafe Rio), and Dayquil and Nyquil. She offered a prescription for meds that would help my hacking cough and congestedness, but I declined. I didn't come all the way to the doctor to get medicine for those measly symptoms. 

She wrote me a doctor's note to take to my work and teacher and I was on my way. 

So there's my story. Now, my intention of this blog is not to just update you all on my sicknesses, I promise. I have a lot more ideas churning in this brain of mine that are too prevalent to be kept only in my head. 

Keep you posted. 

Sick girl out.  

1 comment:

  1. The bonfire and being burned by a coal are totally my fault. I invited you to the bonfire and then dropped the coal on your foot. Sorry for making the symptoms worse!