12 November 2010

Day 7 - Impact

Day 7 - A picture of someone/something that has the biggest impact on you


I don't think just a picture will suffice for this one. 


I've been thinking about my life and how I have changed throughout the years, and I've been trying to think about what exactly "impacted" me so much that it changed my life. Many things have changed the way I live my life. Moving out, becoming independent, college, new jobs, and of course, getting married. 


Transferring to BYU had a huge impact on my life. I felt like I was finally where I needed to be and where the Lord wanted me to be. To this day, I am still finding out why I was supposed to go there. It strengthened my testimony at the time when I needed it the most. However, out of all of these life-changing events, I would have to say that marriage had the biggest impact on my life. It changed me.
There is something about marriage that really makes you come to a realization of who you really are. Marriage exploits all of your weaknesses, strengths, short-comings, habits, and even some characteristics your never knew you had. I have discovered more about myself than I ever had before in my life when I transitioned from being a Miss to a Mrs. I have come to understand the meaning of "settling down". 


There is something about the absolute necessity to put your spouse's needs before yours that makes you understand what you need to improve on. Humility, gratitude, patience...the list goes on and on.  


There is something about becoming fully responsible for the bills, finances, insurance, meals, shelter, clothing, and nurturing your family that makes you realize that you are no longer that person you once were. Your life of depending on your parents is no longer. You have your own family now. It's a weird feeling.


So yes, the transition from Stage 1 (single) to Stage 2 (married) in my life had the biggest impact on me so far. Stage 3 (consisting of expansion of our family...i.e. children...) will be the next stage that will have the most impact on my life, because I will become a mother. And, boy, I can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment